Happy New Year folks! 2017 is going to be the best yet. Here are my top ten Beery hopes and dreams for 2017…
1) Drink more caskalé: Cask Beer, much discussed in recent weeks and as I do a lot of my tasting at home, I often don’t see the best of some beers. And while I talk about loving cask ale, I probably should support it more in my buying decisions.
2) Visit Thornbridge/Buxton: I’ve got a weekend planned with Steve from Beer O’Clock Show to visit these two tremendous breweries. Thornbridge is for a special tour and tasting with one of the brewers, Buxton Taphouse for the day on Saturday! Buxton cask! Whoop!
3) Craft Beer Calling: After the huge step forward in 2016, Craft Beer Calling is genuinely up there as one of the best beer festivals in the country. I cant wait to see what the 2017 version brings.
4) Leeds Beer Festival: Last year I watched in amazement at how good Leeds Beer Festival looked. I fully intend going along this year. Part of me wants to support it all the more, given that Beavertown Extravaganza has unceremoniously landed on the same weekend. I know regardless of that Leeds will once again be brilliant.
5) Newcastle Beer Festival: The CAMRA version. I think the CAMRA festival often gets overlooked, but given that last year the festival had Almasty Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout on, it really isn’t one to be missed.
6) To volunteer: All of which brings me nicely into my 6th wish/intention for 2017. I really want to volunteer at a beer festival this year. Just get involved and see what it’s like from the other side of the bar.
7) To give the local CAMRA group a chance: I’ve been a member for a good few years now but never been to a single meeting or event (bar the beer festival). I’ve signed up to join the local branches tasting panel so I’m going to get stuck into that and see where it takes me.
8) To visit more of the local breweries: I’ve said it many times before but I’m a proud Geordie, proud of our region and passionate about beer. The more I get to know about the beer produced in this region, the more I want to explore it.
9) Podcast: Which brings me nicely to my 9th wish. I’m pleased to announce that this year will see the launch of the North East’s first beer podcast, named The North East Sippin Forecast. Myself and my good pal Rob (@trebor3232 he’s new to twitter give him a follow!) will be exploring beer and exploring the North East beer scene. We’re certainly not polished communicators so bear with us, but it should be a lot of fun. We have a twitter account all set up, so give @SippinForecast a follow and we’ll keep you up to date of our progress!
10) Have Fun: There are many many ideas planned for the podcast, but horse before the cart! I’m genuinely so excited for what we have lined up and I’m sure you’re all going to enjoy it too! Watch this space.
Above all else, there’s times when beer can take itself too seriously. Let’s get back to Beer being fun!